Organovo Announces Initiation of Commercial Contracting for ExVive Human Kidney Tissue
The ExVive Human Kidney has demonstrated important functional aspects that offer significant value in preclinical testing, including:
- Demonstrated proximal tubule function for more than four weeks, as measured by gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) production;
- Tissue-like complexity that supports the detection of injury, compensation, and recovery
- Physiological expression of key transporters as measured by gene and protein expression, which allows for the assessment of kidney toxicity and drug:drug interactions by modeling normal tissue function;
- Modulatable activity of key renal transporters P-gp, SGLT2, and OCT2, demonstrating a high correlation to difficult to replicate human biology;
- Demonstrated toxicity of model kidney toxicant cisplatin, and inhibition of toxicity when blocking OCT2 function, demonstrating specific inhibition of cisplatin transport through a known transporter; and
- Barrier function (permeability) comparable to in-vivo values, as measured by trans-epithelial electrical resistance (TEER).
“The powerful data
The Company and its customers released several posters and presentations during the scientific conferences at EUROTOX 2016 in
The Company believes that, as it penetrates the toxicology market, the ExVive Human Kidney tissue service has the potential to grow into the tens of millions in annual revenue and has $100M+ revenue potential in the future as it pursues diligent sales and marketing efforts (inside of a total addressable market of over
Organovo designs and creates functional, three-dimensional human tissues for use in medical research and therapeutic applications. The Company develops 3D human tissue models through internal development and in collaboration with pharmaceutical, academic and other partners.
Any statements contained in this press release that do not describe historical facts constitute forward-looking statements as that term is defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements about the potential benefits and functional use of the ExVive Human Kidney tissue and the potential customer demand and market opportunities for the ExVive Human Kidney and Liver tissues. Any forward-looking statements contained herein are based on current expectations, but are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties. The factors that could cause the Company's actual future results to differ materially from current expectations include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties relating to the Company's ability to develop, market and sell products and services based on its technology; the expected benefits and efficacy of the Company's products, services and technology, including the ExVive Human Kidney and Liver tissues; the market acceptance and potential market opportunities of the Company's products and services, including the ExVive Human Kidney and Liver tissues; the Company's business, research, product development, regulatory approval, marketing and distribution plans and strategies; the Company's ability to successfully complete the contracts and recognize the revenue represented by the contracts included in its previously reported total contract bookings and secure additional contracted collaborative relationships. These and other factors are identified and described in more detail in the Company's filings with the SEC, including its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended
Steve Kunszabo Organovo Holdings, Inc.+1 (858) 224-1092 email@example.com Press Contact: Jessica Yingling Little Dog Communications+1 (858) 344-8091 firstname.lastname@example.org